The mission of the Alliance for Children and Youth is to defend the rights of street children and youth and provide them with decent conditions for their physical, mental moral and social development, as well as to work on their reintegration into society through partner interaction between recognized public institutions.
The Alliance for Children and Youth is an association between the Free and Democtratic Bulgaria Foundation, the Sofia Municipality , the Bulgarian Red Cross and THE Communities 2002 Foundation.
May the information in this site help you discover the world of the poorest of the poor in our society. May it inspire you to help them and above all, mai it install a new sense of belief and pride in each person's ability to make a difference, to give faith, hope and love to children and youngsters everywhere in Bulgaria.
- The phenomenon of street children and youth in Eastern Europe emerged in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It was the outcome of the unfavorable economic situation in the region.
- Most of the street children and youth in Bulgaria are of Roma origin numbering several hundred in the capital city of Sofia alone.
- The exact number of homeless children and youth in the country is difficult to establish as their number constantly changes - evaluations vary between 2500 and 5000.
- In the early 90's, the responsibility of caring for Bulgaria's street children and youth was taken over mainly by non-governmental organizations due to the respective responsible state institutions' insufficient resources and readiness to deal with the problem.
... and the problem
Every day, street children face:
- Hunger and malnutrition
- Illness and disease, with lack of medical care
- Lack of adult support and advice
Street children are often subjected to:
The alliance is supported by the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Exploiting children is a crime! Begging is an illegal business!
Contact us on phone 0700 1 95 59!
You have any questions?
Contact us and we will answer your inquiery with pleasure.